Economic sanctions; human rights; conflict resolution
Multilateral economic sanctions; state terrorism and gross violations of human rights; peace research and studies.
- Distinguished Scholar Award, International Studies Association, Peace Studies Section, presented at ISA Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD (February 2017)
- MacArthur Foundation, 100&Change Competition judge (May–November, 2016)
US could broaden its use of nuclear weapons, Trump administration signals
Dec 18, 2017
Former Faculty Fellow George Lopez evaluates the administration’s new national security strategy (NSS).
Gold trader says he made millions from plot to beat Iran sanctions
Dec 11, 2017
Former Faculty Fellow George Lopez on profit from sanctions on CNN.
- “Public Consultation on the United Kingdom’s Future Legal Framework for Imposing and Implementing Sanctions,” expert testimony. Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Her Majesty’s Treasury Department for International Trade (June 13, 2017)
- Standing Senate Committee for Foreign Affairs and International Trade, video testimony. Government of Canada, BILL S-219 An Act to deter Iran-sponsored terrorism, incitement to hatred, and human rights violations (March 1, 2017)
- Sanctions and Illicit Networks Group, member of Board of Experts (June 2016–present)
- “Not On Our Watch,” The Enough Project and The Sentry, senior advisor, Washington, DC (November 2016–present)
- Canadian House of Commons Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development expert witness (video appearance)
- "Special Economic Measures Act and the Freezing of Assets of Corrupt Foreign Officials Act." Written and oral testimony: “Assessing Sanctions Impact on Mass Atrocities and Human Rights Abuses” (October 31, 2016)
- “Approaches, Challenges and Strategies in Peace Studies and Peacebuilding After War,” keynote, 5th Anniversary Conference of the Master’s Program in Peace and Social Work, University of Cartagena, Colombia (September 8, 2016)
- United Nations University (Tokyo) research project, “The Sanctions Enterprise: Assessing a Quarter-Century of UN Action for Peace, Security and Human Rights,” codirector (August 2015–October 2017)
- Academy for International Conflict Management and Peacebuilding, United States Institute of Peace, vice-president and director (2013–2015)
- United Nations Panel of Experts for monitoring and implementing UN Sanctions on North Korea (October 2010–mid July 2011)
- United States Institute of Peace, Senior Jennings Randolph Fellow (2009–10)